Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Photography

So, I’ve been thinking a bit about what the problem with photography.  As I see it, photography is a sort of communal art form….because really anyone can succeed at it.  Yeah, there are always certain techniques and skills that can be called upon when choosing your subject matter, film, camera, lighting or a number of other variables…but really, it comes down to did the picture turn out aesthetically pleasing?  I’ve seen so many snap shots that have been more successful than any number of “setup” shots.  Because of this, it seems that everyone is a photographer.  My niece who is still in grade school has taken some brilliant shots before.  Now, granted, the majority of her shots do not turn out so good, but just the fact that she has had successful shots at her age makes me wonder how many pictures have been thrown out over the ages that might have made it into a museum or art exhibit or magazine.  I don’t think the skill in photography is the taking of pictures or even the preparation….I think the skill in photography is knowing when you have a good picture after receiving your developed film or going over your digital images as you take them from your flash card.  Therein lies the skill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home